Superheroes

My husband took me on a date last week. We went to go see the newest installment in the DC comics franchise, "The Justice League". Not one for action movies, or movies in general I was reluctant to give up 2 hours of my Friday evening to sit in a movie theater to watch a movie in a genre I didn't necessarily care for. 

But, after some prodding and the realization that we haven't had a date night in months, we had tickets for the 7:45 showing. 

I wasn't disappointed. The movie was exceptional and easy to follow. Even for an individual like myself who isn't familiar with superhero movies, I easily found myself rooting for the good guys. 

Later on that evening as we were commuting back home I asked my husband what his favorite part of the movie was. We exchanged moments that stood out to us individually from the movie, some funny and others solemn. 

"What would your superpower be if you had to choose one?" I asked him. 

"I'd be like superman." He instantly replied. 

Before we arrived home we stopped for pizza for the kids and my sister who was serving as baby sitter that night. We ate as a family and he headed off to bed as I put the kids to sleep. 

Sometime after 1 AM I headed off to our bedroom. My husband who was probably already on his third dream instantly awoke as I climbed into bed. 

"The kids are sleep?" He asked. 

"Yes, go back to sleep" I responded. 

As my husband slept, I replayed the movie we had seen a few hours earlier in my head. 

The theme of the movie was how individual power isn't always enough. Sometimes you have to be part of a team to make a difference. Your special skill, combined with someone else's makes you stronger, sharper and more super. We all have superpowers and we are all our own superheroes. Superheroes are everywhere. They are the Police officers who willingly risk their lives on an everyday basis in the name of safety. They are our family members who would die for us in the name of love. 

Superheroes, are the teachers who on a salary that isn't enough by any measure, teach our kids about life, themselves and others on a daily basis. They are the mothers and fathers who lose sleep, salary and sometimes a little bit of ourselves in order to provide a better life for ourselves and our children. Even our personality traits make us superhuman. Empathy, humility, and compassion are superpowers within themselves. 

My children are my superpower. They give me strength and endurance that I never knew I had. They've taught me in their individual ways just how strong I am as a person. Giving birth and nursing my daughters has also taught me that as a woman I am powerful and in control of my body.

Being a wife has also given me superpowers. It's taught me that I don't have to do everything on my own. Being part of a marriage team means I have someone to balance me out, wipe away my tears if I have any, and be there with me, for better or for worse. 

My husband told me that his superpower would make him just like super man. 

To me, he already is. 

Comments

Popular Posts